Tara R. Boyd
Tara’s practice focuses on commercial real estate transactions, finance and leasing.
Tara works closely with land owners and developers to put together project funds, including debt, equity, tax credit proceeds and other arrangements. She specializes in alternative closing arrangements such as simultaneous closings and transfers of single-asset entities, as well as time-sensitive transactions.
Tara also works with financial institutions and private lenders to prepare customized documents for asset-based loans, including LIBOR-based notes and pledges of unusual collateral such as tax credit proceeds, notes receivable and development rights. Tara advises lenders and investors on due diligence needed to protect their interests in a project, including coordination of outside consultants and counsel. Tara’s diverse lending experience extends to transactions involving Low-Income Housing Tax Credits, HUD-insured loans and Virginia Historic Rehabilitation Tax Credits.
Tara has significant experience in commercial leasing and common interest communities. She has negotiated shopping center leases as well as leases for restaurant, retail, office, industrial, warehouse and lab space for a variety of end users, as well as agricultural leases and wireless facility leases. She has also created covenants, easements and restrictions associated with the development and leaseup of shopping centers and office complexes, as well as covenants and restrictions associated with development of planned residential and mixed-use communities, including age-restricted communities. Tara has created owner’s associations for shopping centers, subdivisions and condominiums, and has significant experience with distressed associations and projects. She has created and registered condominium projects including mixed-use, leasehold, conversion, hotel and other nonstandard arrangements.
Tara is the co-founder of the UVA Nonprofit Clinic, a collaboration with Legal Aid Justice Center that teaches nonprofit law to students through work with local charities.
- University of Virginia School of Law, JD 2002
- College of William & Mary, BA 1996 cum laude
- LeClairRyan, Charlottesville, Virginia, 2002-2012
- Adjunct faculty, UVA Law School, 2009-2013
- Charlottesville Economic Development Authority, 2010-2020
- Virginia Access to Justice Commission, Pro Bono Honor Roll, 2020-21 and 2021-22
- Recognized in Virginia Lawyers Weekly as one of 20 Virginia “Go To Lawyers” for Commercial Real Estate, 2023
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® for Real Estate Law, 2015-2023
- Virginia Super Lawyers Rising Stars in Land Use/Zoning, 2008-2014